This week, I thought I’d share with you a recipe that my boyfriend’s mother forwarded to me. It is a simple, yet delicious way to use those fresh summer berries that are in season right now, as well as finding another way to incorporate omega-3 rich chia seeds into your diet. I thought this would be an appropriate time to review just some of the amazing health benefits of including berries in your diet.
- Berries are high in phytochemicals – those naturally occurring nutrients that help protect cells from damage.
- Regular consumption of berries can help keep the mind sharp, reduce blood pressure and keep your heart healthy due to their ability to reduce systemic inflammation.
- They help to manage diabetes
- They help fight cancer due to their flavanoid content
- They help prevent Alzheimer’s disease due to the presence of polyphenols, which help by cleaning up the damaging build up of toxins over time.
- Help with weight control due to high fiber content.
- High in vitamins C and K.
Summer Berry Chia Jam
2 cups fresh summer berries – I like to use raspberries and blackberries
2 tablespoons chia seeds
Cook the berries in a small pan over medium heat, mashing with a fork as it cooks for 5 minutes. Stir in the chia seeds. Place jam in an airtight container and store in fridge for up to two weeks.
makes 1 cup
My favorite way to serve this is spread on top of a rice cracker thin, topped with coconut butter, then the berry jam. It is so yummy! I also find this pretty delicious added to a smoothie in place of other fruit.
Yours in health,
Certified Holistic Health Coach